What is it about Barcelona?
What makes this European city one of the most inspiring destinations in the world? There's not one simple answer...
- Second largest city in Spain and the capital of Catalonia ("Catalunya" in Catalan)
- Major economic centre, one of Europe's main Mediterranean ports
- Second largest airport in Spain
- A rich and intense history
- A city where deeply rooted traditions and cutting-edge fashions coexist
Urban Beach Culture - Barcelona is situated on the Mediterranean coast in the north east of Spain. The city's beaches; Barceloneta or Bogatell, to name but two, are the ideal place to spend a day swimming, sunbathing, jogging or enjoying a cold drink at the famous 'chiringuitos' (beach bars).
The Magic Mountain - In the Sants-Montjuic district you can visit the famous Montjuic Mountain and its many attractions: the modern art museum Fundació Joan Miró, Mies van der Rohe's German pavilion, the Olympic stadium ("Estadi Olímpic" in Catalan), built for the 1992 Olympic Games, the creative water show of the Magic Fountains (Font Màgica)or the magnificent Palau Nacional that houses the National Art Museum (Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya – MNAC), even the roads on the slopes were once a Formula One race circuit where the Spanish F1 Grand Prix was held on four occasions. The current Spanish Grand Prix is held at the impressive 'Circuit de Catalunya' at Montmeló, just 15 km from Barcelona.
Innovative Art & Architecture
- Joan Miró was a Catalan painter, sculptor, and ceramist born in Barcelona, many of his pieces are exhibited today in the Fundació Joan Miró in Montjuïc.
- Antoni Tapies, Catalan Informalist artist keeps the avant garde spirit alive at the Fundació Tapies, an impressive arts centre on Carrer Aragó, near the elegant Passeig de Gràcia.
- Gaudi's masterpieces are spread all over the city: La Pedrera and The Casa Batlló and the amazing garden complex Park Guëll.
- Lluís Domènech i Montaner, another Catalan architect also left his unique legacy to Barcelona: the Palau de la Música Catalana and Hospital de Sant Pau. Picasso, the famous Spanish painter, started out at in Barcelona before going to Paris. A collection of early works is shown at the Museu Picasso.
…and yet Barcelona is more than all this! Even if you've been here before there's always more to visit, enjoy and discover. Welcome to Barcelona!
Hotels near popular Barcelona tourist attractions
Why is barcelona30.com better than using other booking portals?
- Easy-to-use, safe & reliable reservation system, with no fuss, no delays.
- We specialise in reliable accommodation at rates you can afford. Clean hotels, hostels, bed & breakfast, guest houses and apartments at competitive prices.
- We continuously monitor our establishments, by means of reviewing the guest comments, and through personal visits to the places we work with.